Coming to Australia

Tax in Australia – what you need to know

Online videos available through the Australian Taxation Office website about Australian tax and superannuation, in 16 languages:



Working in Australia
To work in Australia you will need a work visa and a tax file number (TFN). Shortly after you start a job, you fill in a form that tells your employer your TFN and whether you are an Australian or foreign resident for tax purposes. Your employer uses the information to work out how much tax to withhold from your wages.
Studying in Australia
Generally, if you are an overseas student enrolled at an Australian institution in a course that is more than six months long, we regard you as an Australian resident for tax purposes. You pay tax on your earnings at the same rate as other residents.
Moving to Australia permanently
If you migrate to Australia and intend to reside here permanently, you are an Australian resident for tax purposes. This means you must declare income you have earned from anywhere in the world in your tax return, and you can also claim the benefits of the Australian tax system.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation

Thompsons Australia Newsletters and articles are distributed by professional tax practitioners to provide information of general interest to our clients. The content of this newsletter does not constitute specific advice. Readers are encouraged to consult their tax adviser for advice on specific matters.

Newsletter Archives

Client Information Archives

Business news April 2021 Business news February 2021 business news July 2019 Business news July 2020 Business news June 2021 Business newsletter - November 2019 Business Newsletter - September 2019 Business newsletter June 2020 car expenses covid-19 international accountant australia jobkeeper motor vehicle expenses single touch payroll small business Small Business - March newsletter Special Budget Edition 2019-20 tax accountant vehicle expenses